The government is consulting on whether to introduce an online sales tax to pay for a reduction in business rates. Would that be a good idea? Would it level the playing field between online and offline shopping or would it just be retail Luddism? How might it work in practice? What would be the effects on businesses, consumers and the high street?
The expert panel who discussed these issues included:
- Stuart Adam - Institute for Fiscal Studies
- Gabby Donald - KPMG (and Chair, CIOT Indirect Taxes Committee)
- Nick Lakin - Kingfisher plc
- Alasdair McGowan - eBay UK
- Chair: Peter Rayney – President, Chartered Institute of Taxation