Click here to read the disclosures from Citi.
Download the slides here:
- Acute crisis to tricky recovery: The key questions by Ben Nabarro (Citi)
- Through a glass, darkly: Uncertain outlook for the public finances by Isabel Stockton
- The future of pandemic support for households by Jonathan Cribb
- From support to recovery measures by Helen Miller
The forthcoming Budget - scheduled for March 3 - will be the first since the UK started a series of lockdowns nearly a year ago, and the first since Great Britain left the EU's Single Market and Customs Union. Two weeks ahead of this IFS researchers, along with an analyst from Citi, set out their latest assessment of the economic and fiscal backdrop to the Budget and some of the key policy decisions that the Chancellor will need to take in a webinar funded by the Economic and Social Research Council.
The webinar covered:
- Scenarios for the economy over the near-term and medium-term
- Outlook for government borrowing and debt
- The emergency support packages that are due to expire shortly
- Fiscal policy options to help ensure a better recovery
We are thankful for funding from the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), as part of UK Research and Innovation’s rapid response to COVID19, grant number ES/V00381X/1.